The creative process is an exciting adventure when we know how to approach it. We ALL have creative potential - the trick is how to develop it! Sometimes all we need to do is look differently at what is already at hand and put the skills we already have to new uses! Using any stalled or older “quilts-in-progress” that you have on hand, we will explore ways to transform those images into unique machine-stitched art works. We will combine, re-combine and assemble what we have with us, using both applique and free-motion embroidery techniques (maybe even some piecing!).
We will discuss and move through the steps of the creative process while working on our pieces and, by the end, you will understand “how it all works” as well as having a completely original fabric work.
p.s. If you don’t have any stalled or older “quilts-in-progress”, check on the Supply List to see what you can bring instead! Really, this class IS FOR YOU !!!!
• Bring along 2 or 3 “stalled” or incompleted works that you are prepared to radically alter (for the better, of course!) We'll be discussing different ways to stitch over them using a variety of free-motion machine stitching techniques and/or re-combining them into other applique designs. If you have some quilt blocks or partial quilts, bring them along too – who knows, this may be a way to get rid of a UFO!!! (Bring something you think you'd like to work with.... you don't need to know what you will do to them!!! That's what the workshop is about!!!!)
If you don’t have any “quilts-in-progress”, bring along 2 or 3 pre-printed images that could be used as potential appliqué pieces for larger assembled works (e.g. VIP panels, large floral images in light-weight drapery materials, etc.) The images should be at lease 2-3” in size.
Bring something you think you'd like to work with.... you don't need to know what you will do to them!!! That's what the workshop is about!!!!
• Fabrics: Assorted pieces of fabrics in coordinated colours (printed or plain) to match your images - include some metallics/shiny/mottled/printed fabrics to add pizzazz!!! Throw in some “accent” colors. These fabrics may be used for borders and backings so some pieces should bigger for these purposes.
• Threads: Assorted machine embroidery/polyester/rayon/cotton threads - some metallics and variegated ones, also. Bring LOTS!!!
• Sewing Machine: Oiled and cleaned plus all attachments & your instruction booklet and an extension cord.
***THE DARNING FOOT FOR YOU MACHINE IS ESSENTIAL****
• Basic Sewing Kit: e.g. scissors (large and small), seam ripper, extra needles and bobbins, straight pins, and anything else you think might be useful.
• 1 meter of any paper-backed adhesive (Heat'n'Bond Lite, etc.)
For the 4-5 Day Versions Only:
(Other brands of fabric paints would be OK)
Instructor Will Provide:
copyright @ 2010 all images are property of Martha Cole