This is a practical, hardworking workshop in which you will make a series of samplers and explore several different approaches to machine applique. These will include basic applique techniques, use of adhesives, nets, couching techniques, and a variety of methods of edge finishing. This course will cover traditional techniques as well as more contemporary methods using free-motion machine stitching and adhesives. It will greatly broaden your options when using applique to enhance your sewing on garments, quilts, or contemporary wall hangings.
Length: 2-3 days
Level: Beginner to Advanced. Some knowledge of free-motion machine stitching is recommended.
For 2-day workshop - $12.00
For 3-day workshop - $15.00
• Sewing Machine: Oiled and well cleaned plus all attachments, the machine’s instruction manual and an extension cord. Some machines have a special plate that’s needed for free-hand machine stitching (e.g. Singer) – make sure you have that if it applies to you.
***The Darning Foot for your Machine is Essential****
• Basic Sewing Kit: It should include extra needles (size 11, denim and/or topstitch), extra bobbins, container of sewing machine oil and brush, scissors (large and small), seam ripper, straight pins.
• Threads: “A healthy assortment” of machine sewing threads. Bring along 1-2 metallic threads and/or rayons. If you have any novelty yarns and/or a couple of embroidery skeins bring these along also. Also bring along any machine embroidery threads that you’ve tried to use and have had trouble with!
• Fabric: 6 - 12” x12” pieces of medium
weight cotton for samplers (can be any color)
• .5 m. paper-backed adhesive (e.g. Heat’n’Bond LITE,
Wonder Under, etc.)
• .5 m. heavy weight interfacing or stabilizer (Pellon, Tear Away,
etc). Make sure it is NON-ADHESIVE.
• A variety of small fabric scraps for appliqué designs.
These should include both patterns and solid colours. Bring some metallics,
some sheers /light-weight chiffons/tulle (Only if you have it –
don’t buy it specifically for this – I’ll bring along
• Olfa Cutting Board and Cutter
• Ample workspace for each participant (2/table)
• 2-3 irons and ironing boards
• 2-3 extra tables for supplies, and samplers.
• Communal cutting board, ruler and rotary cutter
• A “teaching space” comprised of a table and demo space
for me with an extra set of chairs around it for participants
• An easel with a pad of paper and/or a chalk board for demonstrations
• A sewing machine for demonstration purposes, preferably a Bernina (discuss with instructor)
• A can of 505 Spray Adhesive and paper to protect table surface
• An LCD projector for the "finale" (discuss with instructor)
Instructor Will Provide:
These supplies are “support materials” for those who have brought the wrong items, etc. as well as some specific supplies for certain exercises.
- Heat’n’Bond backing adhesive or equivalent
- Unbleached cotton for backing use
- Tear-Away Pellon
- Powdered adhesive
- Assorted novelty threads and cords
- Tinsel, sequins, glitter
- Fine bridal netting and/or chiffon in assorted colors
- Colored strips of cheesecloth
- A number of small samplers and demo pieces as well as finished works that use the techniques being learned
- A CD of my work showing the techniques learned (optional)
Print Supply List
> Back to workshops