|> Fabric Based, Skill Building > Exploring The Creative Process > Book Arts|
Level: Some knowledge of free-motion machine embroidery is necessary
• 1 or 2 Natural Objects To Draw (e.g. driftwood, dried leaves/flowers, seashell, etc.) Fresh flowers and/or plants will be provided so bring a small jar to hold water.
• Sewing Machine: Oiled and cleaned plus all attachments & your instruction booklet and an extension cord.
***THE DARNING FOOT FOR YOU MACHINE IS ESSENTIAL****
• Extra bobbin case (optional): We may be adjusting the bottom tension on our machines. Some of you might want to use a separate bobbin case for this.
• Basic Sewing Kit: It should include extra needles (size 11, denim and/or topstitch), extra bobbins, container of sewing machine oil and brush, scissors (large and small), seam ripper, straight pins.
• Threads: “A healthy assortment” of machine sewing threads. Keep colors mostly neutral – e.g. black, gradations of grey, taupe, tan, brown, beige, moss, khaki, etc. Concentrate on neutrals but bring along a spool or two of a bright “accent” colour (red, orange, purple, etc.) and 1 or 2 spools of topstitching thread. Include some variegated threads in either 30 or 40 weight and some brighter colors for flowers. If you have a few thinner yarns that could be couched down and/or wound on your bobbin, bring that along too (optional).
• Fabrics: 2 m. of unbleached cotton (medium weight) or #12 Canvas (what painters use) or any other fabric in that weight range (e.g. flat woven linen or denim). If you have a piece of darker denim that would also be good for 1-2 exercises (Bring along some light colored threads to use for this). Fine quilting cottons are too thin and will not work for this.
• Backing Fabric Options: We will be using 3 different
backing fabrics. Bring 1 m. of each. If you can’t locate one of
them, I’ll have support materials with me that you can use.
• Ample workspace for each participant (2/table)
Instructor Will Provide:
• Set of colored pencils
copyright © | all images are property of Martha Cole